WHAT IS THE SALOP SLUDGER?
A self guided point to point gravel and mountain bike adventure. 46ish km in length and 3,800 ish ft (1,150m) of climbing . . . there or thereabouts. Set amongst the beautiful South Shropshire hills. See this as an adventure, a challenge, a gathering so to speak - rather than a race. There will be trophies, but not usually for speed - there will be many winners! The 2019 Salop Sludger will be on Saturday 14th December 2019 - 9am ride start from The Six Bells in Bishops Castle.
HOW DO I ENTER?
Tickets are on sale now at http://www.wegottickets.com/f/12143 . Please look out for updates on this page, as well as on our Instagram and Facebook page:
WHAT YOU GET FOR THE ENTRY FEE?
- The opportunity to go and get lost with a whole load of other riders in and around the South Shropshire hills in Winter.
- About a week before the day, you'll be given most of the grid references for the event, to assist you planning your route.
- On the day, you'll be given a spoke card, with most of the grid references for the event, coordinated with questions to answer about the location or something to collect from the location to prove you have been there.
- A small batch beer brewed especially of the day by Wilderness Brewery, Newtown.
- A bowl of warming soup and a chunk of bread post ride.
- The chance to win a trophy.
- The knowledge that a substantial part of the entry fee will go to the the Midlands Air Ambulance Charity (We make nothing from this ourselves)
- This year we are investing in the small batch beer, so whilst T-Shirts will be available, we will be asking £5 on top of your entry fee to produce for you at cost (please note that you need top provide us with your size with your registration so we can get the right sizes order in time to hand out on the day)
WHAT IS THE ROUTE?
There is no set route - merely a set of potentially accurate grid references to travel between, and with questions for you to answer about the location, or something to collect from the location, to prove you have been there. The ride route is completely up to you. - all we ask is that you respect rights of way / be careful around livestock / please shut gates / do not drop litter / respect other land and road users.
You will start and hopefully finish at: THE SIX BELLS IN BISHOPS CASTLE
WHAT WILL YOU NEED ON THE DAY?
A self guided aventure means we do not have marshals / sweepers / water stations - Please come prepared for a long ride and changes of weather: wrap up warm carry spares / food / plenty of liquid a set of lights - it gets dark in winter an old fashioned OS EXPLORER map 216 & 217 would be a good idea (The Landranger maps don't have sufficient detail). The phone signal is intermittent round these parts.
WHERE DO I PARK?
Parking in Bishops Castle is free but we would recommend you park at the Community college or the Auction Yard Car Park - both are a 2 minute cycle away.
WHAT ARE THE TIMINGS ON THE DAY?
- 8am: registration and route planning with other riders. Please be ready to ride at 8:45am at the LATEST!!!!!!!
- 9am: start of the Salop Sludger ride
- 1pm onwards: Soup served
- 2pm onward: band playing in the pub
- 3pm: trophies ceremony
WHAT DO I DO IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY OR IF I WANT TO RETIRE?
When leaving and entering Bishop's Castle, please be aware that it will be a Saturday and people / cars / tractors / dogs / cattle will be about - don't go crazy! we would like to do this again.
Look out for one another - If someone's in trouble, help them. If emergency services are required, dial 999 and stay to help.
If you decide to retire - let us know on the number we have added to your spoke card... we are counting you all away and back and don't want to be searching or calling emergency services for missing entrants. We may be able to pick you up, but that’s not guaranteed.
WHAT WILL THE TROPHIES BE AWARDED FOR?
- There will be many trophies. There will certainly be the following:
- best named cocktail (made by you en route)
- best drawing (of something we'll ask you to draw)
- Muddiest rider
- Best story of the day
- An aspect of your attire . . . decided post race what bit
- Who rode furthest - you may want to nip into the next county for a pint (for this we'll need to send us your .gpx files asap post race.)
- There may be others, thought there won't be one for the first back as the times are posted online soon after . . . you can excite yourself with those in your own time.
WHAT CAN YOU DO FOR US?
- Promote the site as much as possible on social media and within your community - we'd like as many people to know about the event and how it compares to others.
- Send us your .gpx files ASAP after the event so they can contribute to the trophy giving.
- Any film footage you have of the day so we can edit them into a video diary of the day.